Accepting And Growing From Within (About Your Disability)

It hasn't even been a full week into May and already there's something to say about Special Olympics - about all the athletes, and even those who aren't IN Special Olympics who have disabilities. Today, I received a call from my boss about certain issues that occurred this year. One of which consisted complaints from certain athletes about a question I asked them in my interviews. The question was, "What is your disability?"

To be honest, and you probably already know this by now, I tend to react before I think. It's been a gift and a curse my entire life. I don't know how to fix it or even remove it. Lately, it's been more of a curse. Because I'm a PR Assistant for Team Missouri, this "react before thinking" has repercussions to Special Olympics, its image and "my image." I write that in quotations due to the fact I tend to embrace everything about myself, including my flaws. Even though, at times, I wish I didn't have those flaws.

When I asked these athletes that question - "What is your disability?" - I didn't consider their feelings, their personal bubble. Which I find that odd, because I normally respect people's privacy despite my nosy curiosity. I thought they wanted to inform the viewers what their disability is and how it's effected their life. And suddenly, I'm reminding myself of the Q & A I did this year about me and my disability.

As I grew up, I wasn't fully aware of bullies - directed at me, I mean. I honestly don't know if I was bullied or not because of my disability. Nobody really knew about my disability unless I brought it up. When I spoke about this issue of the question, "What is your disability?" to my mother, she explained to me that not everyone is comfortable talking about his disability and embracing it like I do. I am fully aware of that, and I have to constantly remind myself not to ask those who are disabled this exact question.

I was raised to respect people - no matter their physical appearance or mental issue. I may not always remember to do so, but if/when I am reminded, I make sure to back off and apologize. In a way, this blog is an apology to those athletes I've asked that question, "What is your disability?"

I want to remind you, though. You don't need to be embarrassed or shy of your disability. It is what makes you unique and true to yourself. If you see any flaws or skills that come from that disability, don't hide them, but embrace them. You can use those flaws and skills to your advantage. Teach people what you can and cannot do. Inform someone what you're passionate and not passionate about. Improve on those flaws/skills. This helps you rise up from the ground with pride and confidence. Someday, you'll be able to tell someone, "Yes, I did that. I may not have been THE best, but I was MY best. And I've improved since then."

That's when you're truly living the Special Olympics Athlete's Oath outside of sports and in real life. "Let me win, but if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt." Live it. Breathe it. You CAN do it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog