Changing Narrations/Writing Articles and Stories

It's interesting and more fun to write fiction. You can make up just about anything. You don't even need to do research. Well, only if what you're writing hasn't been done before. In most cases, it has, but you never know. (This world needs more creativity and spark from us!)

For me, a good portion of the books I've written need plenty of research. Some books require clothing and names from certain centuries. Some need a few things on vampires, mermaids, or even Greek mythical creatures. (Yes, I said it. At least two books, which are paired together, demand all types of animals and creatures.) Heck, several of my books require the proper lingo from the correct century. Now those are difficult to find, but I'm digressing here.

The most difficult story writing for me... is non-fiction. Seriously. Yes, I know I'm blogging, but that's different. I put my thoughts and feelings with typed up words. Most people say it's easy; it's not that hard. Surprisingly, it's difficult for me. With non-fiction, and it being out on paper or a business's website, I'm judged upon because of what I write - not just for my wording, but also my opinions and beliefs.

I admit. I'm having to re-learn what I was taught in high school, because I've forgotten the "basics" of advanced writing. For instance, I don't remember all the reasons for when to use a semi-colon; some of the high school English reading words are lost in my head and last but not least, how to transition one paragraph to another - especially when the story/article has multiple sections in it. Geez!

The main reason I'm saying all this is because my current assignment as PR Assistant, for MO Magic of Special Olympics USA Games, is to write a third-person narration story about someone I've already interviewed or from a transcription I did. I chose John Hughes, golfer for MO Magic. My trouble is what to write about him.

I figured I need to work on this story like I would write a book. About halfway through, though, I'm realizing that's a bad idea. At that point, most of the story are just quotes from the transcription. (Uh oh!) I'm fortunate that I'm at HQ for Special Olympics Missouri - central area. I can ask my boss for help. Technically, he knows grammar and punctuation better than I do.

This makes me feel bad, though. The fact I'm asking for help on a non-fiction, third-person narration piece worries me. Am I supposed to do this?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog